It's difficult to think about swimming right now with the sudden drop in temperatures (and snowfall). But this week's then photo features just that. Then: The Lake Hopatcong Fountain was built as part of the abandonment of the Morris Canal in 1924. It was meant to serve as a measuring device to apportion water to the Musconetcong River. When the canal was abandoned, mill owners and others along the Musconetcong River were concerned they would not receive enough water from Lake Hopatcong to carry on their operations. The fountain was a compromise to ensure the Musconetcong would continue to flow. A 24" pipe was placed in the Hopatcong State Park dam leading directly to the fountain where the water gushes into the air before flowing down the Musconetcong.
Now: The fountain is still there, but the growing foliage over the years makes it more tucked away than it once was. It is situated just behind the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum, near a quaint bridge that crosses the Musconetcong.
This and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum's website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park and is open on Sundays, from noon to 4 p.m., through the fall.