It continues to be one of the most lovely properties on Lake Hopatcong, overlooking the main lake from a hillside in Mt. Arlington. What was once a hotel now belongs to a nearby church. Then: Schafer's Hotel opened in the latter years of the 19th century and was located on the corner of Altenbrand and Park avenues. Featuring a beautiful wrap-around porch, the hotel had some 20 rooms.
Now: Schafer's was renamed the Hof-Brau Hotel in 1933. In 1940, it was acquired by Our Lady of the Lake Church and a new parish hall was built on the original foundation.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum's website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.