More than a century later, a one-room schoolhouse continues to educate Hopatcong's students—particularly the youngest ones. Then: In 1908, a new one-room schoolhouse, known as Hopatcong School, was constructed on the old Sanford farm in River Styx. In the 1920s, the school was renamed in honor of Hudson Maxim. Over the years, it has been used for meetings and functions by many community and religious groups.
Now: The school has been expanded over the years. As part of the renovations and enlargement in 1955, the original portion of the school was demolished. The school has continued to grow, and is now many times the original size while only serving pre-K to first grade students.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum's website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.