Today it stands empty, but this building in Mt. Arlington housed all sorts of borough activities for more than a century. Its future is uncertain, but there's discussion of it someday housing some of the municipality's historical artifacts. Then: Almost immediately after separating from Roxbury in 1890, the new Borough of Mt. Arlington awarded a contract to build a two-story stone borough hall. It housed everything municipal, including the jail. In 1893, the borough used the building to house classrooms for its first school.
Now: Over the ensuing years, all borough activities have been moved to new offices. The building is currently empty as borough officials determine its future.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum's website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.