Tucked away on the inside of River Styx, Feurstein's offered a little bit of everything in the 1920s before evolving into a local tavern. Then: In 1925, Anton Feurstein opened Feurstein's in River Styx as a grocery, delicatessen, lunch room, and small hotel.
Now: In the 1930s, Anton's brother, William Feurstein, opened a separate grocery next door and the original Feurstein's evolved into a tavern. The original building still exists although the business is not currently open. The grocery store was later known as Van's Market during the 1950s and as the Mediterranean Market in the 1960s before being destroyed by fire.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum's website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.