Today, it's a Quick Chek, and many will remember a series of night clubs that once filled the space. Back in the day, it was a popular destination for those looking to bowl a few frames and grab a bite to eat. Then: The Fairways Recreation Center opened on Lakeside Boulevard in 1939 with four bowling alleys, shuffleboard, dining, and dancing. By 1948, Fairways had grown to 12 alleys and in 1949 hosted the New Jersey Bowling Championships.
Now: Fairways was destroyed by fire in 1961 and the Flintlock Restaurant was rebuilt on the site in 1963. The original Flintlock was enlarged over the years and a host of restaurants and night clubs occupied the site, including the very popular Governor's Inn. In 2006, the night club was torn down and a Quick Chek store and gas station were built on the site.
These and dozens of other "Then and Now" images and stories are available in an updated version of Lake Hopatcong: Then and Now by Marty Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum. Purchase that and other lake-related history books here on the museum's website. And see hundreds of photos and other historical paraphernalia at the museum, which is located in Hopatcong State Park.